Fee status

de Havilland Campus.

The University of Hertfordshire has responsibility for determining your fee status for the purpose of paying tuition fees. We are obliged to follow UK Government regulations when making fee assessments.

University tuition fees are charged at one of four rates depending on your fee status. These rates are:

  • Home/EU (standard)
  • Overseas

What fee will I be charged?

The same regulations are applied at all English universities (other UK universities use similar regulations) but each institution is expected to make its own assessment.

The rate you are charged depends on numerous factors such as:

  • your nationality.
  • your immigration status in the UK/EEA.
  • where you have been living.
  • what you have been doing for the three years prior to the start of your course.

Assessments of fee status are carried out on an individual basis and take into account the circumstances of each applicant.

Can my fee status change?

It is not usually possible for your fee status to change once your course has started.

If you start a new course, then your fee status can be re-assessed. If your circumstances have changed since you started your previous course, it may be possible for your fee status to change, although this is unusual and not automatic.

General information is available from the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA), a national advisory body that provides advice for international students. Please visit their website at www.ukcisa.org.uk

If you have made an application for admission to the University of Hertfordshire and have read all the information here and on the UKCISA website, but are still unsure as to what fees you are likely to pay and would like to be fee assessed, please complete the fee assessment form and return it to Student Records and Enrolment (SRE).

Fee assessment form

Fee assessment form (PDF - 0.13 Mb)

Please complete the fee assessment form fully.

Return it to sre@herts.ac.uk accompanied by:

  • a copy of your passport.
  • any supporting visa documentation.

You can also post the form to:

University of Hertfordshire
Student Records and Enrolment (SRE)
Student Centre
Hutton Hub Building
College Lane Campus
AL10 9AB

  • Any questions?

    Contact our Student Centre for more advice on fees and funding.

    +44 (0)1707 284800

  • Example situations

    I am a dual UK/Indian national, but I've never lived in the UK or EEA. Can I pay fees at the Home/EU rate?

    No. Fee status is based on your nationality and where you have been living for the three years immediately before the start of your course. Although you are a UK national, you have never lived in the UK or EEA. You therefore do not qualify to pay fees at the Home/EU rate.

    Other examples

    Read more fee status example situations (PDF - 0.06 Mb)