Postgraduate degrees

Most of our taught postgraduate and research degrees will have entry requirements specific to the course. You can view these on the online prospectus page for each individual course.

Search our online prospectus here

However, below is some general guidance on our entry requirements for postgraduate study.

Master's degrees

Most taught Master's degrees require you to hold an Honours degree or equivalent qualification.

Detailed entry requirements for the degree you want to apply for can be found in the course description.

If you have prior higher education or equivalent work experience, we  may be able to take this into account and allow you to enter your chosen  course at an advanced level.

Please email us using the 'Contact us' link on your chosen course information page if you think this may apply to you.

Clearly identify the course you are interested in and the nature of your prior learning. Your enquiry will be forwarded to the course team for consideration.

Search our online prospectus here

Research degrees

To register for any form of research degree, you should normally hold a first or upper second class Honours degree in the proposed study area.

However, we are pleased to consider applicants who can demonstrate their capability by means of publications or employment responsibilities.

English language requirements 

Overseas and European students are required to demonstrate suitable levels of English language competence.

All international students are tested when they arrive at the University of Hertfordshire. If the result of this test shows that you could benefit from additional English language study, you may be required to attend an English class alongside your studies.

For research degrees you would normally need an IELTS score of 6.5.

Accreditation of Prior Learning

Accreditation of Prior Learning (APL) is the process used to assess and formally recognise any of your learning which has taken place in the past. Examples include:

  • Study undertaken at another Higher Education Institution, where qualifications and academic credits were achieved, which is referred to as 'Accredited Prior Certificated Learning' (APCL);
  • Experiences outside your formal education (e.g. your work experience or any in-house company training), which is referred to as 'Accredited Prior Experiential Learning' (APEL).

If it is relevant and current, some of this prior learning could contribute to your entry qualifications for a programme where you don't meet the formal requirements. You could also be exempted from studying one or more modules (unless the prior learning has already contributed towards the entry qualifications), and so count towards your University of Hertfordshire degree.

If you feel that you have prior learning which could provide exemption from part of a course, please state the nature of this learning on your application form. This will then be evaluated in terms of the number of credits and also the academic level of study it is equivalent to, and will often require you to provide further information in support of your request.

Should you have any queries regarding Accreditation of Prior Learning please contact