Joint Honours programme

Studying two subjects together

Joint Honours studentsExpand your knowledge by studying complementary or contrasting subjects at the University of Hertfordshire with our Joint Honours programme.

A joint honours degree is the study of two subjects offered by different Schools of the University.

Choose your subjects

View our wide range of Joint Honours courses.

You can study two subjects from a range of options including,
Business, Philosophy, Mathematics, Law, Sports Studies, Human Geography, History, Economics, Journalism & Media Cultures and Psychology. You also have the option to study Mathematics with a language.

Once you have chosen your subject combination, you will study those two subjects for the length of your degree, but have the option on most courses to decide whether you wish to Major, Minor or remain studying as a Joint in the Second and Third Year.

(Please note that there are some exclusions, and the pathway selected may be dependent on completing any pre-requisite modules to a required academic standard).

Further details are available on the course pages, or you can contact Carolyn Pegg if you require any additional information.

How Joint Honours works

A male student sitting outside the Law Court building.In your second year at the University of Hertfordshire you can choose to continue studying both subjects equally or to major in one (75%) and minor in the other (25%).

At the end of your second year you get to review your decision and if you have chosen a major subject you can go back to studying both your subjects equally again if you prefer.

If you continued on a Joint mode you can decide to major in one subject at the start of your third year*.

*some subjects/subject combinations have specific restrictions regarding availability of major/minor/joint options check your course page for details.

What our Joint Honours students say

"When I was choosing my course I knew I didn’t want to do just law or media or journalism. I remember coming to the open day at Herts and for the first time feeling like my combination was possible. I was so pleased to start the following September. I study Journalism/Media Cultures and Law and I really enjoy studying the subjects together. Doing a Joint Honours degree, I’m lucky enough to have learned a whole host of skills from my subjects and feel like I’m going in to the graduate market a much more rounded and adaptable person."

- Emma Pritchard, BA (Hons) Law and Journalism & Media Cultures graduate, 2018

"Being a Joint Honours student at UH has given me the chance to fuse my passion for Law and Languages in one degree. Studying two different subjects complementing each other has widened my future career prospects and it's shaped me into a very diverse, adaptable and driven individual. But more importantly it definitely keeps things very interesting! It's been amazing!"

- Divine Bremathas, BA (Hons) Law and Languages graduate, 2018

Why Joint Honours?

Joint Honours at the University of Hertfordshire offers you:

  • Flexibility - Keep your options open and tailor your studies to your interests.
  • Adaptability - Broaden and deepen your knowledge across two or more disciplines and learn to approach problems from multiple perspectives.
  • Employability - A multiple subject degree shows employers that you are a rounded individual with broad interests and an ability to learn new things in a variety of fields.
  • Transferable skills - Develop highly sought after skills in the work place such as time management, independent study skills and organisation.
  • Great opportunities - Study abroad or gain real experience on a work placement year, brush up your language skills or simply experience a different culture and education system - whatever you choose to do and wherever you go you're sure to have an outstanding CV when you graduate.

Joint Honours combinations

Combinations available in:

  • Business
  • Economics
  • History
  • Human Geography
  • Journalism & Media Cultures
  • Languages
  • Law
  • Mathematics
  • Philosophy
  • Psychology
  • Sports Studies

See a complete list of Joint Honours combinations.